Sustainable development goal number 4 states ensuring inclusive and equitable quality education and promoting lifelong learning opportunities for all. It lays the foundation for achieving sustainable development. In addition to that, it equips the people with the necessary tools required to develop certain programs and policies to address the pertaining global issues and challenges.
It is imperative to address the challenges and reverse the failures of the education system throughout the world, which are limiting the global economic growth and rupturing the basic social fabric of the world via extremism, polarization and unrest. Any country deprived of quality education and skilled labour force cannot progress in this era of technological advancements.
The targets to be achieved via this goal are:
- Provision of free, quality education for boys and girls both leading to effective learning.
- All children must be able to access free and publicly funded primary and secondary education, affordable technical education and vocational training.
- To increase the number of people having the required skillsets for employment worldwide
- To eliminate gender disparity in education and provide education to all people irrespective of gender, age, race, color, creed, ethnicity, religion.
- To provide and ensure equal quality of education for all the vulnerable, marginalized and indigenous people, especially women and children, migrants, and people with disabilities.
- To ensure the acquisition of the relevant skills and knowledge needed for the promotion of sustainable development through education.
- To promote a culture of non-violence and cultural diversity.
- To develop infrastructure and provide necessary facilities essential for quality education and learning environment.
- To increase the number of qualified teaching professionals, develop teachers training programs in underdeveloped countries
- To promote and increase the number of scholarships, exchange programs, international training programs.
All these targets can be achieved by taking the following steps and working together to achieve the goal by 2030.
- Need for better policies aimed at the promotion of gender equality, better education, health, justice, good governance, and cessation of child labour.
- Increase in the budgetary allocation for the education sector of those nations.
- Efficient utilization of allocated resources
- The balance between administrative and infrastructure expenditures
- Public-Private Partnership
- Subsidization of Private Schooling
- Standardized Education System promoting a pragmatic and analytical approach and creative thinking among students
- Focus on Research and Development
- Development of training programs for teachers
- Need for coordination between potential employers and institutes of learning